Internships and Independent Study in English


If you'd like to gain some experience—as a junior or senior English major—in the kind of work that our graduates pursue in the world after FW, you may look into an internship. If the position you locate includes a substantial portion of the 'English skills' of research and analysis, writing and editing, and communicating with many publics, you may earn academic credit for your internship.

Past students have worked for a wide array of publications, for non-governmental organizations of many sorts, for cultural institutions, for advocacy groups, for literary agents, for media producers. Examples range from the Publications Division of the Holocaust Museum, through While You Were Sleeping literary magazine, to the communications department of the American Red Cross. The U.S. Department of Commerce even has needs for good communicators.

You may sign up for English 4470 - Internship: Research, Writing, Editing with the approval of the department's supervisor of internships, currently Professor Ormond Seavey. You should normally expect to work about 15 hours a week and to earn 3 credit-hours toward your degree; if the position you choose requires more or less time, you may enroll for 1 to 4 credit-hours. You may enroll in English 4470 for up to 9 credits, but only 3 of them will count toward the major; the additional 3 or 6 credits will be electives toward the 120 credits required for a bachelor's degree. English 4470 is graded on a pass/fail basis.

Independent Study

English majors and minor may take ENGL 4360, Independent Study, with the express consent of faculty sponsor. Generally, independent study is an option when a student wants to pursue a topic that lies outside the usual English department course offerings (independent studies should not be substitutes for regular course offerings).

Students are responsible for finding a faculty sponsor and for working with that sponsor to develop a syllabus or list of readings, a list of meeting times, and a set of course expectations. Together, the student and faculty member need to submit an Independent Study Form (downloadable here as a Word doc) to the Department Chair, who ultimately approves the course. The Independent Study Form should be submitted by the end of the term immediately preceding the term when ENGL 4360 is to be taken.


A Religion Revealed

Professor Gina Welch

Professor Gina Welch's first book In the Land of Believers follows her on a quest to understand evangelical Christians in Lynchburg, VA, and the emotional and spiritual surprises that came with it.